UPRR High-Speed Rail, Tier 2 EA – Girard Siding
High-Speed Rail Project
Owner: Union Pacific Railroad
Location: Virden – Girard – Nilwood, IL (Mile Post 203.0 – 215.0)
Millstone Weber (MW) is currently performing work for Union Pacific Railroad (UPRR) on the Tier 2 EA – Girard Siding segment of the Illinois High-Speed Rail project. The overall purpose of this project is to enhance the passenger transportation network within the Chicago to St. Louis corridor, which will result in a more balanced use of the modal components. The area of Tier 2 EA has limits between MP 203.0 to MP 215.0 on the Springfield Subdivision, which includes construction of a second main track and access roads from MP 206.0 to 214.50. This segment also includes construction of culvert replacements, bridge improvements, and the reconstruction of roadway crossings.
The Illinois High-Speed Rail project is set to bring high-speed rail service to Illinois by 2017. The completion date for Tier 2 EA – Girard Siding is anticipated for July 2015. More details on the scope and milestones on this segment of the project are listed below.
- 180,000 CY of earthwork
- 140,000 tons of subballast
- Construction of 8.5 miles of new Mainline track adjacent to UP’s existing Main on 20 foot track centers
- Demolition of 2 miles of existing siding track
- Extension of a cast-in-place box culvert under the BNSF and UP mainlines
- Construction of a soldier pile retaining wall under the existing BNSF overhead bridge
- Installation of 1,838 LF of jack & bore culverts at 18 locations ranging from 36” to 60”
- Installation of 2,305 LF of Corrugated Metal Culverts
- Installation of 5,684 tons of Rip Rap culvert protection
- Demolition of 2 existing buildings
- Reconstruction of 7 at-grade road crossings
- Installation of 19,802 LF of ornamental fence
- Completed and opened 4 miles of double track north of Girard, IL
- Successfully assisted in the replacement of the existing Union Pacific – BNSF rail interlocking in Girard with a series of four Turnouts in a 24 hour outage, eliminating the existing high maintenance diamond rail-to-rail crossing
- Completed road crossings at Jackson Street, Holden Street, and Crown Two Mine Road in Virden, IL
- Successfully partnered with Union Pacific Railroad (Track, Signal, Communications, Fiber Optics, and Management), TranSystems (owner’s representative), HDR (real estate and project design), adjacent property owners, municipalities (Virden, Girard, Nilwood, Macoupin Co., and IDOT), Sprint Fiber Optic, and other utility owners to develop work around plans to continue construction in 2014 avoiding costly delays and eliminating a 60-day service outage of UPRR’s siding track.